Sunday 4 November 2012

Homophobic Stereotypical comments about The Gays.

First of all, I have to say How do you know you are gay if you haven’t tried sex with someone of the opposite gender? A lot of people who write into the problem page have had this question presented to them once they come out to friends and family. Just as daft a question would be to ask them back how they can be so certain of their heterosexuality if they’ve never had a same-sex experience. The simple answer is that you don’t have to try sex with anyone to know that you want sex with some people and not others. If I was never close to a man again, if all men except myself were teleported to another planet, I’d still be lusting after them for the rest of my life. Because I’m gay. Simple.

Sexuality isn’t a choice. We don’t line men and woman up like flavours of ice cream to try. Sexuality is a deep-rooted part of who you are and it dictates who you are attracted to, before you so much as have your first kiss. I knew I was gay when I was 12yrs old, but I didn’t have a physical relationship until I was 17. During those intervening five years I was still as gay as I am now at 19yrs old and will still be when I'm 40yrs old.

So I know that I am gay even though I have never had sex with a woman because I have no desire to do so – the feelings aren’t there. Women are wonderful, but sleeping with them isn’t a part of me. I'm not programmed to respond to their bodies in the way a straight man is, just as it's not a part of a straight man's nature to respond sexually to the bodies of other men.

Don’t put yourself into sexual situations that don’t feel right for you, even if those around you think it’s a good idea that you 'give it a try'. It’s not fair on you or the subject of the experiment. The only reason you should ever have sex with someone is because you truly want to. And that's that.
  
The annoying gay-bashing comments we face from homophobic people    
        " Gay men are all effeminate, promiscuous and bitchy". Gay people are as varied in appearance and behaviour as heterosexual people. Their beliefs and values have as broad a range as you can imagine. Although stereotypes might have originally been based on genuine observations, they tends to be based around the most visible element of a minority group. It’s human nature to want to label things so that we can make sense of the world. Putting all gay people in a box and assuming they all behave in a certain way makes it easier to deal with the unknown.

I’ve worked with straight people a few times who were very surprised that I seemed so ‘normal’ and not like what they had expected of a gay man. You might hold stereotypes in your mind of minority groups, but try to be open minded and see the broader picture. Sexuality should be a way of assuming how someone behaves or what motivates them. Remember too that if a person does exhibit stereotypical traits, such qualities are not necessarily negative.

                " Gay people can't have "real" relationships like straight people can". Some people view same-sex relationships are inferior or 'not the real thing'. Some view being gay as a weird sexual fetish rather than someone's sexuality, and think that real romantic love can only be found with someone of the opposite sex.

Gay people fall in love and have healthy, happy, lasting, monogamous relationships just like heterosexual people. The powerful feelings involved are the same. Same-sex relationships are as likely to succeed or fail as opposite-sex relationships. It's the people within the relationship who make or break it.
      
       lastly " Being gay is not a mental health problem itself, but mental health problems among gay people are relatively high".

Gay people face obstacles and challenges that straight people don't get that It's tough growing up gay when the world around you may be telling you that it's wrong to be who you are. Homophobia and bullying; feelings of isolation and loneliness; learning to pretend you are someone else to please your peers, put great strain on someone's daily life. It's no wonder that some gay people develop mental health problems such as depression, anxiety, self-harm and even suicide.

Nobody is born depressed, anxious or suicidal. It's negative life experiences that can result in problems, regardless of whether you are gay or straight.

2 comments:

  1. My brother, you're even better at this than I am. Amazingly well written and well thought out. Keep it up! You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for ur comment. whenever I write a new article, I always look forward to ur comments. It inspires me too :)

    ReplyDelete